It is vitally important to educate yourself on the state of legal matters relating to cannabis rights in South Africa, if you live here and especially if you smoke cannabis.
Lets Get Personal And Private about Cannabis Rights in South Africa:
When Living Alone:
The Individual has the right to keep unlimited seeds & seedlings in their private holdings. They also have the right to hold up to 600g of dried Cannabis flowers and/or keep up to 4 growing cannabis plants on their private premises.
When Living With 2 Or More People:
The members living in this type of household have the right to keep unlimited seeds & seedlings in their private holdings. They also have the right to hold up to 1200g of dried Cannabis flowers and/or keep up to 8 growing Cannabis plants on their private premises.
With that said, it is important to respect other peoples’ rights and abide by the law.
In A Public Place
‘In Private’ refers to when you keep, store, transport or be in control of Cannabis Flowers in a manner that conceals it from the public view. An individual may hold up to 100g dried Cannabis flowers ‘In Private’ in a public place.
Class C Offence
- When in possession of Cannabis at any place, please ensure to store such Cannabis in a secure place that is inaccessible to a child. Failure to do so can result in a class C offence.
- If you smoke Cannabis in the immediate presence of a child./ minor, you can be charged with a class C offence.
- Smoking Cannabis in a vehicle on a public road can also land you a class C offence.
Class D Offence
- If you are caught smoking Cannabis in a public place, you can be charged with a class D offence.
- If you smoke Cannabis in the immediate presence of a non-consenting adult, you can be charged with a class D offence.
Currently the only commercial opportunities available in the industry relate to farmers who can obtain a license to either export their yield or supply it to a lab that has the required licenses for the treatment, processing & manufacturing of cannabis related products.
This is unfortunately still insufficient to ensure that the whole country has the opportunity to participate in and reap the rewards of the cannabis industry.
So to leave you with a few thoughts, we should respect the laws in place and exercise our legal rights in order to see a new and improved nation be reborn.